LOOKEE- LOOKEE! FAMILYOLOGY has an ACTUAL FAMILY TREE that ANYONE can view for FREE on Tribalpages.com! Come take a look and see how everything you read about here fits in chronological context... It's also a work in progress...
(Sorry, for privacy and safety no living people are viewable without permission and password from the administrator)

The views described in this blog are as multidimensional as the sources... Facts are cited wherever possible... and attempts are made to draw an interesting narrative out of our family orchard. If you find something to be incomplete, inaccurate or offensive, please leave a comment or contact the blog team. Thank you!

Friday, May 07, 2010

Howard Family part two

This is continued from the HOWARD FAMILY DISCREPANCIES

Alrighty then... I had all these eloquent ideas of how to write floating around yesterday, as I was walking on sunshine... I'm still happy about this, but my mind is zinging wanting to discover NOW, not just sit and write about the process. I know they're not going anywhere, they've been buried almost a hundred years, so I should be able to do this.

When I got off the BART, the first thing I did was walk straight to the Department of Public Health and Vital Statistics. It's so grand that all these things are right there within walking distance of the station. I stood in line (should have filled out my forms then) with everyone else, although there was a sign or two that said "Genealogists and Government Agencies must see cashier for service", which was encouraging. I don't remember seeing that before.

Now I should have finished writing this back in May, but now it's January and the details have deteriorated further. The guy at the window was nice and helpful. I gave him the sheet I made up with all the detective hints on it as well as the prescribed forms for ordering death certificates. Then I had to wait. I was starving, so I went to a restaraunt around the corner and waited for a table until I was too anxious to eat and left again. I don't remember if I ever ate in the city. When I went back I was only partially disappointed, and here's why.
After all these years, the death record has not listed as Mary Ellen Howard, but Ellen Mary! I got the death certificate for Ellen that day because everything else matched up. I didn't have the correct dates for Thomas Howard until after I spoke with someone at the cemetery. Now, with a solid date and calling her Ellen, they found them both. I could get his death certificate right now. I could go to the cemetery plot right now, and though I'm sure their names aren't in stone, at least I'd know where the blazes their bones are! That's something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what have YOU found???

General Announcements

...the best way to find updates is to use the search features (labels or the search bar above) because we don't put things in chronological order all the time!