LOOKEE- LOOKEE! FAMILYOLOGY has an ACTUAL FAMILY TREE that ANYONE can view for FREE on Tribalpages.com! Come take a look and see how everything you read about here fits in chronological context... It's also a work in progress...
(Sorry, for privacy and safety no living people are viewable without permission and password from the administrator)

The views described in this blog are as multidimensional as the sources... Facts are cited wherever possible... and attempts are made to draw an interesting narrative out of our family orchard. If you find something to be incomplete, inaccurate or offensive, please leave a comment or contact the blog team. Thank you!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Gerry's Family Notes

As a little girl, I enjoyed listening to the grownups' conversations around me and when some of the relatives came to visit that was a double bonus fo rme. The memories came flooding back when I started going through things to assemble these pages. I did not have to rely solely on memory.

Fortunately, some old newspapers and pictures were found in chest drawers or stuffed in boces which I discovered after mother's death, some of which she had kept from her mother's possessions. There was nothing about Judge Charles Walker (Hattie's mother's family). I had really hoped to find information about him and his wife and not much about Eb Teague either - only a few letters.

Regarding the spelling of Sharp or Sharpe, mother said when she was growing up, her family spelled it SHARP, but when she was in high school, she thought adding the E gave it a little flair, so she changed it. (She'd also given herself the middle name of DELAINE about this time). Later, after she went to work, she thought it was pretentious and dropped the E. I know Brad and his family do not use the E.

I'm sorry to say I know very little about the Teague side of the family, and I'm not sure why. Anyway, i'm enclosing pictures and notes from the back of pictures that indicate time, places, and names. I'm hoping the information you've offered to send me will enlighten me a lot about both the Sharp's and Teagues.

I do remember Hattie (my grandmother) talking about her mother who was named Mary Tennessee; it seems each of those four girls in Judge Charles Walker's family had a middle name of a Southern state. I found that fascinating as a little girl. She also mentioned that each spring and fall, he would take the girls on a riverboat trip down the Mississippi River to Memphis to buy their spring and fall wardrobes.

Apparently, after Mary's husband Eb died, she married a Mr. Richardson and moved to Tennessee. I want to research this more (or, hopefully you have it) as I do have dim memories of meeting some fo the Tennessee relatives.

Elijah (1855 - 1927) and Mary Teague (1863 - 1951) are buried at New Hope, but I don't know who they are or their relationship to Eb and the Mary who was born in 1860 and died in 1949 per Hattie's notation on the back of the pictures. Maybe Elijah was Eb's brother. Of course, Eb and Mary's children were Clarence, Walter, and Hattie.

Some aging, crumbling letters need to be deciphered and/or restored. When that happens, I'll send you copies.

Hope you enjoy these pages and can use them in your quest for connecting with our ancestors.

Submitted by Gerry Roby Wardlaw,
Daughter of Inez Sharp Roby
September 2006

2 comments:

  1. Hi, there is a meme going around in the genea-blogworld and you've been tagged. If you would like to participate, tell us 5 things about yourself that we probably don't already know and then tag 5 more bloggers. Randy Seaver is keeping a list of who has been tagged and responded at http://randysmusings.blogspot.com/2007/01/theyve-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth 5 years later, I can tell you who Elijah and Mary Teague are. They are my paternal Grandmother's Grandparents, and Elijah Swarengood Teague is the brother of Ebenezer. Their parents were Mahalia (Mahala) Richardson (Richeson) and Elijah Teague Sr. She died in childbirth (or shortly there after) with Elijah Jr, because her date of death and his birthdate match.

    ReplyDelete

So what have YOU found???

General Announcements

...the best way to find updates is to use the search features (labels or the search bar above) because we don't put things in chronological order all the time!